Tigard Postnuptial Agreement Attorney
Assisting Clients Through The Postnuptial Agreement Process in Oregon
Postnuptial agreements are similar to prenuptial agreements, but they are created after a couple is already married. These agreements can be used to protect the interests of both spouses in the event of a divorce or legal separation. At Rose L. Hubbard, Attorney at Law, we have extensive experience helping clients create postnuptial agreements. Our Tigard postnuptial agreement lawyer understands the legal requirements that must be met for these agreements to be enforceable, and we can help you create an agreement that meets your needs.
Call Rose L. Hubbard, Attorney at Law, today at (503) 743-0185 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our postnuptial agreement lawyer in Tigard.
What is a Postnuptial Agreement?
A postnuptial agreement, or often referred to as a "postnup," is a legal document designed to outline the division of assets, debts, and other financial matters between spouses in the event of a divorce or separation. While prenuptial agreements are entered into before marriage, postnuptial agreements are crafted after the marriage has already taken place. These agreements serve as a proactive approach to addressing potential issues and can offer peace of mind to both parties.
Postnuptial agreements are versatile tools that can address various aspects of a marriage, providing clarity and transparency. Whether there is a change in financial circumstances, the desire to redefine spousal support arrangements, or the need to protect individual assets, a postnuptial agreement can be tailored to address specific concerns.
What Does a Postnuptial Agreement Cover?
- Asset Division: Postnuptial agreements can clearly define how assets will be divided in the event of a divorce. This includes real estate, investments, business interests, and personal property. By establishing a predetermined framework, couples can avoid lengthy and contentious disputes over property division.
- Debt Allocation: Just as assets are addressed, a postnuptial agreement can specify how debts will be allocated between spouses. This can prevent one party from being burdened with the other's financial obligations in the event of a separation.
- Spousal Support: Postnuptial agreements can establish terms for spousal support or alimony. This includes the amount and duration of support payments, offering financial security and predictability for both parties.
- Business Interests: For couples who own businesses together or individually, a postnuptial agreement can outline how business interests will be managed in the event of a divorce. This helps protect the continuity and value of the business.
- Estate Planning: In some cases, postnuptial agreements can address estate planning concerns. This may include provisions for inheritance, the distribution of assets upon death, and other related matters.
- Child Custody and Support: While postnuptial agreements primarily focus on financial matters, they may also contain provisions related to child custody and support. It's important to note that decisions regarding child custody and support are subject to review by the court and must be in the best interests of the child.
Contact Our Postnuptial Agreement Lawyer in Tigard Today
At Rose L. Hubbard, Attorney at Law, our Tigard postnuptial agreement lawyer is committed to providing clients with the legal guidance they need. With a focus on clear communication and client empowerment, we aim to achieve resolutions that align with your goals and priorities. We are ready to provide the support and guidance you need to navigate the complexities of postnuptial agreements and protect your future. Trust us to be your advocate in matters of family law.
Contact Rose L. Hubbard, Attorney at Law, today to get started with our Tigard postnuptial agreement attorney.