Grandparent Rights Helping You Find Success Through a Difficult Time

Grandparent Rights in Oregon

Tigard Family Law Attorneys Can Help Grandparents Assert Their Rights to Visitation and Custody

As grandparents, your role in your grandchildren’s lives is invaluable. We recognize the emotional, nurturing, and supportive contributions you provide. Our seasoned legal experts are here to navigate you through the legal journey, safeguarding and upholding your invaluable rights as devoted grandparents.

Do Grandparents Have Rights in Oregon?

Oregon law doesn’t have a law specifically for grandparents’ rights. However, if certain circumstances exist, grandparents can ask the court for visitation or custody.

Remembering these rights don’t necessarily apply only to grandparents is essential. It can be any person other than the mother and father who has acted as a parent to a child and wants to establish a legal connection to the child, including stepparents.

Grandparents are not generally viewed any differently than a third party. In the court's eyes, grandparents don’t automatically have any more rights to custody or visitation than a non-relative.

Whether you are looking for custody or visitation with your grandchildren, our Tigard grandparent rights lawyers at Rose L. Hubbard, Attorneys at Law can help you, in Beaverton, Lake Oswego, or a surrounding region. We have an in-depth understanding of your rights as a grandparent under Oregon law, and we are prepared to help you assert them. Our attorneys can walk you through the paperwork, the family court systems, and work to ensure that you and your grandchild’s interests are safeguarded.

If you have questions about grandparent rights in Oregon, talk to our attorneys online or give us a call at (503) 743-0185 today.

Grandparent Visitation & Custody in Oregon

There is a constitutional presumption in favor of the authority of the parents. However, if a grandparent can show the court that there is either a child-parent or ongoing personal relationship and the grandchild’s needs are being neglected by the parents, or that the parents are not equipped to care for the child (such as drug/alcohol abuse, psychological problems, etc.), then you may be granted legal custody and/or visitation. It is important that you work with an attorney to advocate for you in front of the court.

The court considers many factors when granting custody or visitation, such as:

  • If the grandparent has been the primary caretaker of the child recently and if the parent encouraged this relationship
  • Whether the legal parent is unable or unwilling to adequately care for the child
  • Whether there presently are circumstances detrimental to the child
  • Whether the legal parent has unreasonably denied or limited contact with the grandparent

Assert Your Rights as Grandparent: Call (503) 743-0185

At our firm, we are focused on protecting your grandparent rights in Oregon in a way that is in the best interests of the child. We can provide compassionate, knowledgeable, and hands-on approach every step of the way.

If you are concerned about your rights as a grandparent in Oregon, contact our team online or call (503) 743-0185 to explore your legal options.

The Team at Evans & Hubbard

Skilled & Compassionate Attorneys 

Take Your First Step

Discuss Your Options with a Trusted Team 
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.