Tigard Paternity Lawyers
Experienced Counsel & Hands-On Guidance: (503) 743-0185
Establishing paternity involves determining the biological father of the child. In some cases, such as with unmarried couples, paternity can be uncertain and may require verification through the courts. If you need assistance establishing paternity, talk to one of our Tigard paternity attorneys at Rose L. Hubbard, Attorneys at Law.
Tell us about your paternity case during a case evaluation.
At our office, we have been helping mothers and fathers establish paternity in Tigard, Beaverton, and Lake Oswego for decades. We know that paternity is a delicate issue, and our team handles each case with the utmost care and discretion. Our lawyers can guide you through the process and the court system, working to resolve your paternity dispute in a timely manner.
Ways to Establish Paternity
In Oregon, paternity can be established in several ways:
- If the couple is married, there is a presumption of paternity.
- If an unmarried couple agrees on the paternity of the child, then they can submit paperwork with the courts to establish paternity.
- If there is a dispute regarding paternity, the court can order genetic testing to verify paternity.
In cases where the father refuses to cooperate with genetic testing despite a court order, the father can be held in contempt of court and subject to penalties.
Importance of Establishing Paternity
Paternity can offer a number of benefits for the child, the mother, and the father.
Establishing paternity is important for many reasons, including:
- Access to child support
- Access to the father’s medical history, inheritance, benefits, etc.
- Shared parental responsibility
- A child can build relationships with both parents
Call (503) 743-0185 to see how we can help.